- 1 1/4 lbs skirt steak thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 3/4 cup jasmine rice
- 3 cloves garlic divided
- 1/2 lb broccoli
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups water divided
Cook the Rice
- In a small pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil (reserve remaining olive oil) on medium-high. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add rice, a big pinch of salt and 1 1/2 cups of water. Heat to boiling on high.
- Cover, reduce heat to low. Cook 12 to 14 minutes, or until tender and water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
Cook the Broccoli
- Heat the sesame oil on medium-high. Add broccoli, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- Add garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add water and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, until water is cooked off and broccoli is bright green.
- Transfer to a bowl and wipe out the pan.
Cook the Beef
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add cornstarch, toss to thoroughly coat.
- Heat remaining olive oil on high. Add half of coated beef in a single layer. Cook, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, until browned on first side. Turn and continue to cook, stirring constantly 1 minute, until just cooked through.
- Leave brown bits in pan and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining coated beef, leaving it in pan.
Finish and Serve
- Return first batch of beef to pan. Add hoisin sauce and vinegar. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until coated.
- Add cooked broccoli and 2 tablespoons of water; cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute or until well combined.
- Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer cooked rice and finished beef to a serving dish. Enjoy!