Dairy, used properly, can be a great part of a ketogenic diet. I love my ice cream. This recipe satisfies me completely.
Keto Chocolate Ice Cream
This recipe does not use an ice cream maker. With egg whites and heavy whipping cream whipped to soft peaks, the result is similar to a fluffy chocolate mousse.
- Double boiler
- 5 oz 85% or 90% dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 2 oz cocoa butter
- 4 large eggs separated
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup powdered erythritol or Swerve
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- Melt the chocolate and cocoa butter in a double boiler over medium heat then cool to room temperature.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar. As the egg whites thicken, slowly add the powdered Erythritol. Beat until they create stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, beat or whisk the cream until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- In a third bowl, mix the egg yolks with the vanilla extract.
- After the chocolate has cooled, using a rubber spatula, add about a third of the fluffy egg whites and mix with the chocolate. Add the remaining egg whites and gently fold in without deflating them.
- Slowly stir in the egg yolk and vanilla mixture.
- Finally, fold in the whipped cream using the spatula, creating fluffy chocolate mousse.
- Transfer chocolate mousse to a 9 X 9-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper. Freeze at least 4 – 6 hours, or until set
You can use 1-cup, single-serving containers for portion control. If the ice cream is too hard, leave it at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.