The reason that I go for the Instant Pot Quail rather than oven roasted quail is the heat. It is really hot outside and to roast quail requires a 500-degree oven. That’s right 500 degrees. The roasting time is short but just the thought of preheating an oven to 500 degrees makes me sweat.
Instant Pot Quail
- Instant Pot or other multi-function pressure cooker
- 2 whole quails 4 to 5 oz each
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 Tablespoon cooking oil of your choice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 ½ oz bacon chopped
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Season quail with salt and pepper
- Stuff cavity of quail with fresh thyme
- Place oil in Instant Pot and select “Sauté”. Add the bacon, onion, dried herbs, bay leaf, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Place quail in the pot, breast-side down and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until browned, then flip breast-side up.
- Select “Cancel” and add the broth to the pot.
- Secure the lid and cook using “Manual” and “High Pressure” for about 7-9 minutes.
- Select “Cancel” if needed and carefully do a “Quick Release”.
- Remove the lid, transfer quail onto a plate. Remove the herb sprigs from cavity.
- Strain liquid into a bowl.
- Return broth to Instant Pot and select “Sauté”. Cook for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the quail back to the broth for about 2 minutes, basting with the broth/sauce.
- Remove from Instant Pot and serve with the sauce.