- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Pecorino or Parmasan cheese freshly grated
- Combine fresh basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1/2 of the olive oil and process until smooth (fully incorporated).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If using immediately, add remaining olive oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer basil pesto to a serving bowl. Mix in the cheese.
- If freezing, transfer to air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over the top. Good for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese.