Easter is fast approaching. Come see us at the Wytheville Farmer’s Market and pick up some Easter lamb. We have bone-in legs, boneless shoulder roasts, and ground lamb. Choose a free recipe card with your purchase. I have Greek Meatballs for Easter, Easter Leg of Lamb and Southwestern Shoulder Roast.
Easter Leg of Lamb
- 1 leg of lamb bone-in (6-7 lbs)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbl fresh rosemary leaves chopped (or 3 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs combination of rosemary, chives, and parsley
- 2 cups onions diced
- 2 cups lamb stock or chicken stock
- 1 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Rub lamb all over with lemon juice. Pat garlic and rosemary evenly over the surface of the lamb. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a roasting pan in oven. Roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 F and continue cooking for approximately 1 hour for medium-rare, or until thermometer registers 145-150 F (don't touch the bone with thermometer.)
- Remove roast from pan and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- Position roasting pan over stove burners. Add mixed herbs and onions to pan. Stir to combine with pan drippings. Add stock and wine to deglaze the pan. Reduce over high heat until it becomes a sauce consistency (approximately 20 min).
- Slice lamb and serve with sauce drizzled over the top. Reduction sauce may sound complicated, but I guarantee you that if you give it a try, you will see just how easy it is to make. You’ll be off and running in a lot of other areas with that new skill.